If you've been unlucky enough to puncture your inflatable sleeping mat out on your adventure, we've got you covered. Here we show you how to identify and repair a puncture in your sleeping mat, at home or in the field.
Step 1: Find the Leak
- Inflate your sleeping mat as firm as you can.
- If you can hear air escaping, look for the hole.
- If you can't hear air escaping, try submerging the mat in water.
- Look for bubbles. The bubbles will show you where the air is escaping.
- If the leak is a tiny pinhole, you may need to increase the pressure of the mat by folding it. This will help you find the hole more easily.
- Check every section of the mat.
Step 2: Mark the Leak
- Once you've found the leak, mark it with a marker or a piece of tape.
Step 3: Clean the Area
- Use a clean cloth to wipe away any dirt or debris from the area around the leak.
- Make sure the area is dry before applying the patch.
Step 4: Apply the Patch
- Follow the instructions that came with your patch kit.
- Make sure the patch is applied evenly and that there are no air bubbles under it.
Step 5: Inflate the Mat
- Once the patch is applied, inflate the mat to its full size.
- Let the mat sit for an hour to make sure the patch has time to dry.
- Inflate the mat again and check for leaks.